September 13, 2007

Follow Him

Then He said to them all, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it."
~ Luke 9:23,24

Come to Me, all you who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.
~ Matthew 11:28-30

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of My hand.
~ John 10:27,28

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Luke 9:23 and 24 really are on my mind right now. What does it really mean to give up trying to save my life? Often we just take it at a shallow level and don't realize what it really would mean to live life how Christ did. Paul

Hannah said...

When we try and save our life, we don't surrender control of it to Christ, we hold on to it and want to run things ourselves and live for self; self is consuming and absorbing. To lose it for Christ's sake includes but doesn't always include martyrdom. It means giving up running our life, denying self, living under the authority of our Father, and answering to Him, as His servant and steward. This is only accomplished thru the power of the Holy Spirit working in us, for in and of ourselves we have no power to deny the flesh and say no to sin. Christ is the ultimate example of humility and sacrifice and as God changes us day by day into His likeness, He patiently disolves our pride and self will and teaches us to depend and trust wholly in Him.